Friday, July 12, 2013

Ephesians 4:1-6

Carol, I agree.  "Live a life worthy of the calling you have received" is SO convicting.

Paul tells us how.

Be completely :
    HUMBLE
    GENTLE
    PATIENT
    BEAR WITH ONE ANOTHER IN LOVE
    KEEP THE UNITY OF THE SPIRIT THROUGH THE BOND OF PEACE

He tell us the 7 things that unite us:

ONE :
    BODY
    SPIRIT
    HOPE
    LORD
    FAITH
    BAPTISM
    GOD, AND FATHER OF ALL

I meditated on these things this week.

Focus on what unites us with our brothers and sisters in Christ.

There will be differences: personalities, opinions, preferences, responses, ways of dealing with situations etc etc.  When faced with the irritation, annoyance or even frustration or anger that arises because of these differences, remember ... be humble, gentle, patient, bear with each other in love.

Then we will keep the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace.

I think I managed to be somewhat humble, gentle, patient, bearing with people.  But definitely not completely.  Thank you Lord for YOUR humility, gentleness, patience and for bearing with me in love.

HE enables us to live a life worthy of the calling we have received by giving us endless grace and the perfect example to follow.





1 comment:

  1. 4:1 - "...live a life worthy of the calling you have received." This is a tall order, and it is convicting. None of us can be worthy by our own merit; Paul already established in 2:8-9 that our salvation is by grace, not works. So what does he mean? Maybe the key is in 3:16?... "out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Sprit in your inner being..." We prayerfully ask God to help our lives have eternal impact through His Spirit guiding our decisions, our attitudes, our actions. I think that's the only way we can even come close to living "a life worthy of the calling..."
    4:2-3 - The only way we can keep unity and peace is through humility and gentleness. See Phil. 2:2-3. I think I need this reminder even in my own home. Often, I have strong opinions about how our family should do something. But I need to remain humble and submit myself to my husband's authority (and give RESPECT!). Sometimes this means I need to be quiet and listen, rather than airing my own opinions.

    ReplyDelete